Get Kids Writing— Encourage kids to stretch their imagination and go deeper into their creativity with these good writing ideas. Children who write consistently tend to have a strong sense of self-confidence in their ability to creatively express their thoughts, ideas, and opinions.
Even in our high-tech world, writing remains an essential and fundamental skill for students to master. When teaching kids how to write, interesting and good writing ideas help to engage a child’s interest in their writing practice. Below are various good writing ideas for kids which are sorted by topic. The topics include writing about yourself, prompts about animals, prompts about friends and writing ideas about using one’s imagination.
Moreover, a regular writing practice — such as daily journaling — gives children the chance to explore the world around them, to expand their imaginations, and to develop a deeper level of self-awareness.
Explore, savor and enjoy this list of good writing prompts for young writers!
Good Writing Ideas for Students
Writing Ideas about “Yourself”
1. Write about an unforgettable experience in your life.
2. Write about your best school day EVER! Explain in detail what happened on that day.
3. Write about teaching someone something you are good at doing.
4. Write a story about your favorite pair of shoes.
5. Write about an embarrassing event that happened to you.
6. Write about a trip or a vacation you have taken or you want to take.
7. Write about your favorite summer vacation memory.
8. Write about Sundays and how you spend them?
9. Write about a thing that you are scared of and why it frightens you.
Writing Ideas about “Animals”
10. Write about your very favorite animal in the whole wide world!
11. Your pet suddenly turns into a cartoon character. Write about the adventures you two go on together.
12. “If I was an animal, I would be _____ and I would_____.”
13. What would you do if you had a dinosaur as a pet?
14. imagine a new animal that no one has ever seen before. Explain how it looks, what it eats and what does in the world.
15. What are the responsibilities of having a pet?
16. You are a bird that can fly. Write a story about what you see.
17. Which animal frightens you the most? Write about the animal and why it scares you.
18. Write a story about your dream pet.
19. Write a story about two animal friends, such as a giraffe and a whale or a duck and a pig.
20. While walking through a forest, you stumbled upon a huge egg. What do you do and what happens next?
Writing Prompts about “Friends”
21. Write all about your best friend.
22. Write a letter to your oldest friend. Tell her what you miss about her and share some memories and stories.
23. What qualities do you look for in your friends and why?
24. Did you ever fight with your friend? How did you solve it?
25. Write about going on a trip with your friend.
26. Write about the nicest thing you have done for your friends.
27. What does friendship means to you?
28. Write a poem about the qualities or habits of your friend(s).
29. Have you ever lost a friend? How did you feel?
30. Write a story about you and your friend encountering a dragon.
31. How would you celebrate friendship day with your friend?
Writing Ideas about “Imagination”
32. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
33. What would you do if you were the President of your country?
34. You found a pot of gold in your backyard…
35. What would you do for the day if you could do anything in the whole wide world?
36. Describe what you would do if you got the chance to live on the moon for a whole year!
37. You wake up and find a purple giant living in your home…
38. “I walked into the closet and came out in another world called _____”. Continue this story.
39. My life as a pirate or a detective is so interesting because…
40. I went inside the Egyptian pyramid and discovered…
41. You are about to begin your very own business, what is it?
42. How would you make this world a better place?
43. You find out that you are a prince/princess to the throne…
44. Your bicycle runs away from your home. How are you going to find it?
We hope you put these good writing ideas for kids to use in your classroom!
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these good writing ideas for students,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator