This collection of journal writing prompts is ideal for people of all ages and all skill levels. Whether you have been an avid journal writer for years or you are trying to implement a new habit into your daily routine, there is something here for everyone.
Journal writing prompts can help a journaler to think more critically about a particular topic or question. Journalers have to consider the prompt and reach deep into their minds in order to come up with the content for their entry.
Taking time out from one’s day to reflect on a specific topic can help clear the mind, while the process of writing the actual journal entry is also an opportunity for the journaler to improve their writing skills if they desire to do so. Whether you have written one journal entry or 100 journal entries, the practice of daily writing can have a positive impact on your life.
You are invited to explore and play with the journal writing prompt lists outlined below. They are some of our favorite journaling ideas for writers of all ages. Now is the perfect time to explore and use these journal writing prompt lists for writers of all ages and stages of life!
19 Journal Writing Prompts for Any Age
1. If I wake up tomorrow and everything has changed for the better, what will have changed?
2. Write a poem about your favorite person, animal, or place.
3. What is your favorite song and why?
4. I believe…
5. My ideal day is…
6. Is it better to give or to receive?
7. If I had three wishes I would…
8. The joy of today is…
9. The perfect place in the whole wide world is…
10. What excites me the most is…
11. Walking in the rain is…
12. If I were a raindrop I’d…
13. What is your favorite time of day? Why?
14. Describe your best day ever?
15. The greatest present I ever received
16. Five things I’m good at are…
17. Some talents I have are…
18. The quality I like about myself the most is ________________ because…
19. How would you change the world to make it better?
7 Journal Writing Prompts for Young Writers
1. If I were a teacher, I would…
2. If I were a leaf, I would…
3. If I could get anything in the world for my birthday, it would be…
4. My hero is…
5. If I ruled the world, I would…
6. My favorite movie is…
7. Ten things that make me laugh or cry…
Journal Topics to Write About
- Write about a time when you were afraid that you would fail at something. How did you conquer your fear?
2. Do you think that humans will ever travel to another planet? Why or why not?
3. Write a poem about your grandparents.
4. Do you believe time travel is possible?
5. Write about a time when you learned that something you’d always thought was true was actually incorrect.
6. Write about a great female role model. Why is she inspirational?
7. Write a scary story.
8. Write about a time when you had to make a tough choice. How did you decide what to do?
9. Write about a time when you were entrusted with a secret.
10. Write a letter to a person who has inspired you. What would you like to say to him or her? (See the full list of 30 prompts)
Daily Writing Prompts for Everyone
- When do you feel the world stop?
- What is your personal motto?
- What is the greatest gift you ever received?
- Are you an impulsive person or someone who prefers to “wait and see”?
- Write about a leader who inspires you.
- What irrationally annoys you more than anything else?
- What small thing can always bring you a bit of joy?
- What is your favorite thing to do on a lazy day?
- How often do you take risks?
- Write about your happiest memory.
- What is your favorite thing about being male or female?
- Who is your favorite president? What do you admire about him?
- How long do you think it will be before we see a female president?
- Do you think it’s important to be a part of a community? Why or why not?
- Write a thank-you note to someone who has made a difference in your life. (See the full list of 68 journal prompts)
Journal Prompts for Writers 8 – 80!
- What is the most unusual thing you’ve ever seen?
- Write about a song that always reminds you of a special memory.
- If you had to eat one food for dinner every day for the rest of your life, what would it be? Why?
- What would you do if you knew there would be no consequences?
- Write about a person in your life who has proven that you can always count on him or her.
- What has been your favorite age so far? Why?
- Where do you like to go when you need some peace and quiet?
- What is the happiest sound in the world?
- What is something that you will never understand?
- Do you believe miracles can happen? Why or why not?
- Would you like to have a surprise party thrown for you? Why or why not?
- If someone could tell you the exact date of your death, would you want to know it? Why or why not?
- Write about somewhere that you’ve always wanted to visit. (See the full list 33 prompts)
Journal Writing Prompts about Random Acts of Kindness
- Paying kindness forward can make a difference in the world because…
- How could I encourage people around me to do more kind things for one another?
- What could our class do to help those who are less fortunate?
- It is important to do kind things for others because…
- Someone once did __________ for me, and I felt __________
- I can show kindness to younger students by…
- During random acts of kindness week (middle of February each year), I can…
- The best thing to brighten someone’s day is…
- I can show appreciation for my parents by… (See the rest of the journal prompts)
Journal writing has long been a staple in classroom curricula and in self-help modalities of all sorts. Journaling is an ageless art form and well as a highly therapeutic exercise.
Questions that encourage a journal keeper to reflect on their own dreams, desires or decisions give them a chance to carefully consider their own instincts and inhibitions. In many cases, they may become more aware of what they want to do, who they want to be, and how they truly want to act in a given setting. They may also better understand any past mistakes and produce a new approach that will serve them better in the future.
Above are just a few of our favorite journal writing prompt ideas and story starters for writers of all ages. We hope these prompt lists will motivate and help people to enjoy, savor and delight in their journal keeping adventures.
Until next time, keep on writing!
If you enjoyed these Journal Prompts and Topics for Everyone,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator