Fun Daily Writing Prompts for Second Grade — For young students who have to focus on everything from school to sports to after-school activities, it can be tough to slow down and reflect on the aspects of their lives that form their identities. Fortunately, journaling gives second-graders the chance to express their thoughts and emotions on paper and to see where their feelings come from.
Writing is a powerful way for kids to grow more aware of themselves. In these new writing prompts for second grade students, your class will make great use of their imaginations and creative spirits.
After practicing daily writing prompts for just a couple of weeks, you’ll notice an improvement in their writing and in their abilities to present clear, cohesive reasoning for their beliefs. Journaling is one of the best ways to teach kids critical thinking skills from a young age.
Use these writing prompts for second-grade students as a fun way to get your class interested in writing and to help them develop their language skills.
36 Fun Daily Writing Prompts for 2nd Grade
1. If you could be president of any club, what would you choose?
2. How did your parents choose your name?
3. What is the best thing about living in the 21st century?
4. How can our class be good role models for the kindergarten and 1st-grade students?
5. Describe yourself in four words. Why did you pick these words?
6. Write a story about a puppy with a very special superpower.
7. Who is your hero? Why?
8. What are your top three hobbies? Why do you like them?
9. What did you do last weekend?
10. Write about a time you were embarrassed? How did you feel?
11. If you could create a new holiday, what would it be?
12. What do you do when you have a fight with a friend?
13. What is your favorite thing about yourself?
14. What’s your favorite subject? Why?
15. If you were a teacher, what would you teach? Why?
16. Would you rather have x-ray vision or super-hearing? Why?
17. What is your favorite kind of dinosaur? Why?
18. Write a story about a young girl who joins a traveling circus.
19. What is something you always carry with you? What does it mean to you?
20. What’s the best thing to do when it’s hot outside?
21. Who tells the best stories in your family? What makes them so good?
22. If you had to eat one food for the rest of your life, what would you choose?
23. Do your birthday wishes come true?
24. Write about something that annoys you. Why didn’t you like it?
25. If you could be a movie star, what movie would you be in?
26. What is your favorite kind of music? Why?
27. If you could have any home in the world, what would you choose? Why?
28. Would you rather live on a farm or in a city? Why?
29. Do you get scared in the dark? Why or why not?
30. Would you rather listen or talk? Which is easier for you?
31. Would you rather ride rollercoasters or waterslides? Why?
32. What is one thing your parents always tell you? Why do you think they say that?
33. Write a story about an invisible boy. What does he do? Where does he go?
34. What’s your favorite thing to read? What do you like about it?
35. Write about one of your talents that you’d like to share with the class. What is it that makes your talent unique?
36. If you could stay any, one age forever, which age would you choose? Why?
More 2nd Grade Writing Ideas
- 46 2nd Grade Writing Prompts
- 30 Narrative Writing Prompts for 2nd Grade
- Summer Writing Prompts for 2nd Grade
- 2nd grade paragraph writing worksheets
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Writing Prompts for Second Grade,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator