46 2nd Grade Writing Prompts + Free Writing Prompts PDF — A lovely reader named Trina left a comment on one of our posts titled 49 Elementary Writing Ideas and Story Starters for Kids. In her comment, she contributed 46 unique and fabulous journal prompts and writing ideas and I just had to share them with you.
Are your second graders writing or journaling on a regular basis? I hope so because after having them practice daily writing for just a couple weeks, you’ll notice an improvement in your student’s writing skill development. You may also notice an improvement in their ability to present clear, cohesive reasoning for their beliefs.
So go ahead and use these writing prompts for second-grade students as a fun way to get your class interested in daily writing and to help them develop their language skills. Also, as an added bonus, at the bottom of this post, there’s a listing of resources to other writing prompt articles organized by grade. Be sure to check them out and share these fabulous resources with your friends, colleagues, and co-workers.
Alright… without any further delay, here is Trina’s fabulous listing of forty-six fabulous 2nd-grade writing prompts!
46 Journal Prompts and Writing Ideas for Second Graders
- What’s the most important thing you would like to do this summer?
- Go for a walk. Write a sentence about the walk you went on.
- Write about a trick you would like to play on your mom.
- What is your favorite thing to do when you play outside?
- What is your favorite thing to do when you play inside?
- Tell about what you will be when you grow up.
- Write about what you would like to do for your next birthday.
- If you could go on a vacation anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- Make a list of groceries that you think mom or dad should buy for you from the store.
- Tell about an animal you would like to have for a pet.
- What would you do if there was a dragon stuck under your bed?
- What is the funniest thing that you have ever seen?
- What did you do today?
- What is something you would like to learn more about?
- What kind of pet do you think a teacher should get for their classroom?
- What is the best movie you have ever seen?
- Tell about your most favorite book.
- Tell about your favorite holiday. Tell why it is your favorite.
- Tell about your favorite restaurant. Tell why it is your favorite.
- Write a poem about what you think second grade will be like.
- Do you think you will get married?? Write about what you think it will be like.
- What is something you love about yourself?
- If you could change anything about yourself, what would it be?
- Make a list of the things you are most thankful for in your life.
- Which season do you like the most?? Why??
- Which season do you like the least, why????
- You just won $1,000,000. What are you going to do first?
- Tell about a time when you were kind to someone.
- Tell about your favorite song.
- Write a story about the mysterious zizzybaloobuh that you just found in your bathtub.
- What is something that makes you ANGRY!!!!!
- Tell about your favorite sport.
- Tell about the last time you cried.
- What are you scared of?
- You found a magic wand! What would you do with it?
- Tell about your favorite food and why it is so good.
- Have a family member write something about you today.
- What would happen to you if you never went to school?
- In second grade, I want to learn about…
- My favorite animal is a….
- This is a list of things I like to do when I can’t watch television or play video games.
- What would you like to say to President Obama?
- What is something you are really good at doing or creating?
- What should you do if there is a bully on your bus?
- When I’m 100 years old…
- If a cat could talk, what would they say?
As promised, here is that list of writing prompts organized by grade level—
- First Grade Journal Prompts
- 3rd Grade Journaling Ideas
- 4th Grade Writing Prompts
- 5th Grade Writing Ideas
- Grades 6 – 8 Journaling Prompts
- Grades 9 – 12 Writing Starters
BONUS 15 Fun Daily 2nd Grade Writing Prompts
- If you had to eat one food for the rest of your life, what would you choose?
- Do your birthday wishes come true?
- Write about something that annoys you. Why didn’t you like it?
- If you could be a movie star, what movie would you be in?
- What is your favorite kind of music? Why?
- If you could have any home in the world, what would you choose? Why?
- Would you rather live on a farm or in a city? Why?
- Do you get scared in the dark? Why or why not?
- Describe yourself in four words. Why did you pick these words?
- Write a story about a puppy with a very special superpower.
- Write about a time you were embarrassed? How did you feel?
- If you could create a new holiday, what would it be?
- What do you do when you have a fight with a friend?
- What is your favorite thing about yourself?
- What’s your favorite subject? Why?
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Second Grade Writing Prompts,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator