Healthy Aging — September is Healthy Aging Month and it’s the perfect time for adults to take some time to reflect on all aspects of their health. We should recognize and applaud ourselves for the things we’re doing well—and also figure out where we still have room for improvement.
Healthy Aging Month is all about becoming aware of your health and setting yourself up to age successfully. To that end, these writing prompts will guide you in evaluating various aspects of your health and setting goals for the future.
You’ll consider topics ranging from the food rules you lived with as a child to your best self-care habits—as well as what you could do to integrate more activity into your lifestyle. As you write, try to be completely honest with yourself. Having a clear picture of where you stand is essential to setting reasonable, realistic goals!
Each of us should focus on healthy aging as we get older… and these writing prompts make the process accessible and fun!
31 Writing Prompts to Help Adults Prepare for Healthy Aging
- List three things you do regularly that are good for your health. Write about how each one helps you.
- List three things you could do to improve your health. Write about the impact each one would have on you.
- How could you fit more exercise into your weekly routine?
- At what point in your life were you the healthiest? What was unique about that time?
- What types of rules about food did your family have when you were growing up? How did those rules affect you?
- What is the most challenging part of living a healthy lifestyle for you? Why do you think you struggle with it?
- What does “good health” mean to you?
- What health concerns do you think you may have when you get older? How can you begin to address them now?
- Set three goals for your health and write about how you could achieve each one.
- Do you see a doctor regularly? Why or why not?
- Do you know what screenings and appointments are recommended for someone your age? Research and schedule them and write about what you learned.
- How much water do you drink on an average day? How could you increase this amount?
- What is your most unhealthy habit? Why do you engage in it when you know it isn’t good for you?
- Are you a “moderator” or an “abstainer”? How does this affect your health?
- How frequently do you eat out at restaurants and fast food places? What could you do to eat at home more often?
- Do you live a sedentary or active lifestyle? What could you do to be more active?
- Have you ever dieted before? Was it successful? Why or why not?
- What is the best thing you do for your health on a regular basis?
- How do you feel when you are maintaining good health habits?
- Do you believe in cheat days or cheat meals? Why or why not?
- What does “self-care” mean to you?
- What is your favorite way to practice self-care?
- Have you ever experienced mental health struggles before? Describe your experience.
- What do you like to do to improve your mood when you’re having a bad day?
- Have you ever noticed a connection between your mental health and physical health? Describe your experience.
- Have you ever tried meditation? Why or why not?
- What things do you do that are good for your mental health?
- How do you handle people and situations that negatively impact your mental health?
- Do you consider yourself to be a healthy person overall? Why or why not?
- What motivates you to live a healthy lifestyle?
- What type of support system do you have in place for your healthy lifestyle? Describe it—or brainstorm how you could build one if you don’t already have one.
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Healthy Aging Prompts for Adults,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator