Halloween Writing Ideas for Elementary Students— Elementary writing may be practiced year-round, but the holidays are a particularly fun time to encourage children to practice their creative writing skills. Halloween is a perfect time of year to engage the imaginations of kids and encourage them to get creative with their elementary writing practice.
With fall leaves on the ground and students planning their costumes, Halloween is on the minds of your elementary students. Go ahead! Exploit their excitement and connect it to their elementary writing skill development. Besides, it’s likely that elements of the season have been showing up in their school work already, so why not give them some specific Halloween writing ideas for the spooky occasion?
After all, they already know that creative writing is nothing to be scared of – but some of these 78 new prompts may spook them just a little nevertheless.
Treat your students to these fun Halloween elementary writing ideas and encourage them to get extra creative with these exciting writing ideas!
78 Halloween Writing Ideas for Elementary Aged Students
- What do I want to be for Halloween this year?
- How I’ll design my jack-o-lantern
- Favorite place in the neighborhood to stop during trick-or-treating
- “I got a rock” – worst Halloween treats
- The most uncomfortable costume I ever had
- What makes a good costume
- What would happen if I got stuck in my costume and turned into a _________?
- The scariest story I ever heard
- If I were Frankenstein’s creator, what would I have made him look like?
- Going through a haunted mansion
- Stuck in a corn maze
- Write a story about seeing a black cat on Halloween
- My favorite costume ever
- The greatest scary movie of all time
- Picking out a pumpkin from the pumpkin patch
- What will you use to collect all of your treats?
- A thunderstorm on Halloween
- Drinking the witch’s brew
- What would happen if you saw someone wearing the same costume?
- The origins of Halloween
- The best costume I ever saw
- Who am I going trick-or-treating with this year?
- My family’s Halloween traditions
- Best trick-or-treating weather
- Spiders and creepy-crawly things
- What if I discovered my house was haunted?
- Bats in the belfry (bell tower) …
- What I like (or don’t like) about Halloween
- The spookiest ghost story ever
- Tricks and treats on Halloween
- Spending the night in a graveyard
- What if your Halloween costume came to life and chased you?
- If I could cast a spell, what would it be?
- The best Halloween decorations
- Legends of the haunted house
- What is the best treat to get on Halloween?
- What if you went to a school for ghosts?
- Who carves the pumpkin in your house, and why?
- The most popular Halloween costume
- Imagine your dinner companion turned out to be a vampire?
- What if your dad was a warlock?
- Would you rather eat worms or spiders as a Halloween trick?
- Belinda the black cat
- When the skeleton in the biology room came to life
- Finding out your older brother is a werewolf
- Does your family ever dress up in costumes that match each other?
- How old will I be when I stop trick-or-treating?
- The Great Pumpkin
- Who would win in a fight between a werewolf and a vampire?
- What would you like your teacher to dress up as for Halloween?
- Solving a Halloween mystery with Scooby-Doo and the Mystery Machine
- The tradition of All Soul’s Day
- Going horseback-riding with the headless horseman
- The scariest looking house in my neighborhood
- Bobbing for apples
- The best thing about the school Halloween party
- A day in the life of a ghost
- How to prepare for a zombie attack
- The year my sister’s dolls came to life
- If I were a wizard, what would I do?
- Scariest Halloween legends
- A ghost in my house that can walk through walls
- Sneaking on board a pirate ship
- If I had a flying broom, where would I go?
- A pumpkin house
- The best flavor of candy corn
- Getting lost in a dark forest
- What if your best friend turned into a zombie?
- Finding a bat in your backpack
- Funny Halloween jokes
- Having a jack-o-lantern for a head
- The night of the full moon
- Best scary mystery books
- What if your mother was a mummy?
- What if you wake up as an imaginary creature, like a vamp-wolf, or a skele-ummy
- What would you create if you were a mad scientist?
- Dracula visits the dentist
- When gummy worms come to life
More Halloween Writing Prompts
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Elementary Writing Ideas for Halloween,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator