Grade Four Writing Prompts— For fourth grade students who are getting older and becoming more comfortable in their own identities, journaling is a powerful tool that offers a safe place to explore their deepest thoughts.
Daily journaling is a powerful activity that can ground your students by giving them a stable, reliable place to express themselves. Your students will become more confident in their own ideas when they see that their opinions matter with daily writing.
Before we get to those writing ideas and prompts for fourth graders, I have some news to share with you. Recently, I made a video about 25 Innovative Journaling Ideas for Kids. Here it is. Take a look! 😀
Writing Prompts for 4th Grade
The writing prompts for 4th-grade students listed below are full of interesting and creative questions designed to help your students think more about who they are and what unique qualities define their identities.
In these new prompts, students will consider everything from the act of giving to differences between boys and girls to their favorite things to write about. Use these writing prompts for 4th-grade students to help your class explore their own thoughts and opinions in a constructive, private way.
1. What makes you who you are?
2. What makes you laugh?
3. What is your favorite thing about being a part of our class?
4. What was your favorite summer vacation? Why?
5. Write about a time you gave something of yours to someone who needed it? What did you do?
6. What is your favorite lesson from American history? What do you like about it?
7. Do you consider yourself to be a patient person? Why or why not?
8. Do you think schools should give homework? Why or why not?
9. Write a poem about your most prized possession.
10. Do your parents let you choose your own clothes at the store, or do they pick them for you? What is your style like?
11. Write about a time you stood up for something you believed in. What did you do?
12. What is your favorite game? Is it a video game or a board game? What do you like about it?
13. What is the best gift you ever received? What made it so special?
14. What is your favorite part of the school day?
15. Write about a secret you’ve never shared. How do you keep it secret? How does the secret make you feel?
16. Do you have a good memory? How do you know? What kinds of things are hard to remember?
17. Have you ever received a gift you didn’t like? How did you react?
18. What is the hardest part of 4th grade?
19. What is the most interesting book you ever read? What did you like about it?
20. What is your favorite quality about yourself?
21. Is it hard to be friends with someone after having an argument? Why or why not?
22. What is your favorite after-school activity? What do you like about it?
23. Are boys and girls really different from one another? Why or why not?
24. Have you ever gone to summer camp? Did you enjoy it?
25. If I were ruler of the universe for the day, I would _________.
26. What is your favorite thing to write about? How does writing make you feel?
27. What makes you feel good?
28. Which of your friends are you the most like? Why?
29. What is a tradition? What makes it so special?
30. Do you prefer sports or video games? Why?
31. What can you do to show your grandparents how much you love them?
32. Write about a time when you did poorly on a test. What did your parents say?
33. How did you meet your best friend? How long have you known one another?
34. What is your favorite thing about your family?
35. What do you admire most about your dad?
36. What do you admire most about your mom?
37. What is the best movie you’ve ever seen? What did you like about it?
38. Do you like being the center of attention? Why or why not?
39. If you could visit any country in the world, where would you go? What would you do there?
40. Do you think of yourself as a team player? Why or why not?
41. What is your favorite kind of food? What do you like about it?
And before we go, we have EVEN MORE prompts for 4th graders to share with you. So without further ado, here they are!
28 MORE Writing Prompts for 4th Grade Kids
- What 5 things would I want if I was stranded on a desert island?
- I felt grown-up, when ______________
- Brothers/sisters are important because…
- If I could trade places with anyone for a day
- The best April fool’s joke I ever played
- A perfect day
- My favorite month of the year
- Walking on the ceiling
- My favorite pair of shoes
- Finding buried treasure
- If dinosaurs still existed
- My greatest talent
- What if there were only 18 hours in a day?
- Something that embarrasses me is…
- The best restaurant I’ve ever been to
- I like living in [city], because…
- The most important thing I ever learned
- If I were the principal, I would _______
- Can wishes come true?
- People who I couldn’t live without
- My favorite thing in my bedroom
- A list of states or countries I’ve been to
- What would grow in my garden?
- A day in the life of a superhero
- Rules are important because…
- If I were a color, I would be _______
- My favorite thing about myself
- I think tests are important/unimportant because…
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Writing Prompts for 4th Grade,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator