Topics for Writing— Writing topics are often used by kids who keep a journal or write creatively. Of course, many writers enjoy using a good writing topic when they begin a new project.
A great topic to write about can fuel a writer’s need to get the creative juices flowing.
Writing topics can be unique, fun or inspiring words. The writing topics could be in the form of a single word, a phrase, a sentence or a paragraph. They could also be an image or a picture that invoke new and engaging thoughts to write about in a story or in a journal.
Below are 30 new writing topics for young writers. Check them out!
30 New Topics for Writing
1. Write about a time when you were afraid that you would fail at something. How did you conquer your fear?
2. Do you think that humans will ever travel to another planet? Why or why not?
3. Write a poem about your grandparents.
4. Do you believe time travel is possible?
5. Write about a time when you learned that something you’d always thought was true was actually incorrect.
6. Write about a great female role model. Why is she inspirational?
7. Write a scary story.
8. Write about a time when you had to make a tough choice. How did you decide what to do?
9. Write about a time when you were entrusted with a secret.
10. Write a letter to a person who has inspired you. What would you like to say to him or her?
11. How would you describe yourself?
12. If you could get rid of any one chore or responsibility you have, which would you choose? Why?
13. Write about a time when you couldn’t stop laughing.
14. If you could have an extra sense, what would it be? Why?
15. Do you believe in magic? Why or why not?
16. What makes you feel safe when you are scared?
17. Would you rather live in the city or in the country? Why?
18. If you were a teacher, what subject, class, and grade would you teach?
19. Would you rather be on stage or in the audience? Why?
20. What is the first thing people notice about you?
21. If you could have an exotic pet, what would you choose? Why?
22. Do you have any brothers or sisters? If so, what do you like about them? If not, would you like to have siblings?
23. Write a letter to a politician, expressing your opinion on a current issue.
24. What is one gadget or material item that you can’t live without? Why?
25. Write a story about someone your age who lives during the days of dinosaurs.
26. Write a poem about your favorite character from a tall tale.
27. Who has taught you to have good manners? How did he or she teach you?
28. What is the best gift you have ever received? How did you feel when you opened it?
29. What do you see when you look in the mirror?
30. Do you think cartoons are only meant for kids? Why or why not?
If you enjoyed these writing topic ideas, please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest. I appreciate it.
BONUS: 27 Daily Writing Prompts for Everyone
- Who knows you better than anyone else?
- How do you define success? Who is a successful person according to your definition?
- Are you the life of the party or someone who prefers to sit back and observe?
- Write about the last time you helped someone.
- What is the most interesting fact you know—and why does it interest you?
- Write about a time when you heard, read, or saw something that you weren’t supposed to. What happened?
- Have you ever fallen in love?
- Do you follow current events? Why or why not?
- What is the greatest benefit of journaling?
- If you could have any one question answered, what would it be? How would the answer impact your life?
- What is the earliest lesson you remember learning from your parents?
- Write about one thing from your childhood that you will always carry with you.
- How do you define “family”?
- Do you believe in ghosts or spirits? Why or why not?
- How frequently do you exercise or engage in physical activity? Are you satisfied with your habits? Why or why not?
- Write about an aspect of another culture that interests you and that you’d like to learn more about.
- Write about something you love that you think everyone else should try, too.
- Would you ever consider going to space? Why or why not?
- What is the most important thing you look for in a friend?
- What value do you hold most dear? Why?
- Choose three words to describe the current state of your life—and then explain why you chose them.
- Write about a time when you created something amazing.
- Would you rather be rich, successful, healthy, or famous? Why?
- What do you think one of the hardest jobs in the world is? Would you ever consider doing it?
- Write about a time when someone confided in you. How did their trust make you feel?
- Write about a time when you encountered a bully—and what you did to address the situation.
- Are you more scientific-minded or creative-minded? How does that affect your life?
Until next time… Happy writing!
journalbuddies.com creator and curator