Writing Prompts All About School (Now with 30 More Ideas)— Yes… Soon kids of all ages will be back in the classroom which is why we decided to write some fun, creative writing prompts that are school-themed. Plus, you’ll also see two BONUS listings of prompts.
Below we give you a list of 15 writing prompts about school that can be used at home by parents or in class by teachers.
Hopefully, these topic ideas and prompts will make writing a bit more fun and enjoyable for children of all ages, but most especially those who are in grades 3, 4, and 5.
Additionally, many of these writing prompts about school can be used any time of year – or in any setting.
So without further ado, here is that list of writing prompts about school for kids!
15 Fabulously Fun Writing Prompts about School for Students
- A large package, mysterious just arrived at your school. How do people react? What is in the package?
- If you could change one thing about your school what would it be and why? Convince the person reading the paper to change it.
- Finish the story: “One day at school, our teacher was gone! In their place was a…”
- Tell about an activity that you have participated in at school that you really loved.
- Write about a person from your school who has really made a difference in your life.
- Snow days sometimes mean that school is called off. Other times, you get to go to school while it is snowing. Tell about your favorite snow day memory. If you have never had a snow day, tell what you imagine one would be like.
- Do you have a favorite holiday or event that your school celebrates? Explain what it is and how you celebrate it at school. Include lots of details so someone could do it themselves if they wanted.
- Write about your favorite thing you have ever learned at school.
- Write a letter to your principal convincing them to do something with the entire school that you believe would be fun and would help others to learn new things.
- Describe your favorite (or least favorite) school meal or snack food.
- What would you do if you left your homework assignment at school?
- Write about your favorite teacher at your school. What makes them so special?
- Finish the story: “If my school closed for a day and I could do anything that I wanted I would…
- Show and Tell! Your teacher has asked you to bring in one thing that is important to you. What would you bring in and why? Describe it for the reader. What would you tell your classmates about the object?
- You can go on any field trip you would like. Where would you go? Why? Write a story about you going on your dream field trip.
I hope you enjoyed this list of writing prompts about school.
Now check out this bonus list of ideas for students to write about to further expand the creativity of your elementary students, middle schoolers, and even your high school students.
11 More Fun Writing Ideas for Students
- If you could have one superpower in school, what would it be and why?
- What is your favorite part of starting a new school year?
- Write a short story about a dinosaur and their best friend going to start school with aliens on a planet in outer space.
- Write a mystery story about a group of middle school students who want more than anything to return to elementary school that takes an unexpected plot twist.
- Write about your favorite movie, favorite animal, or favorite recipe.
- List out 5 story ideas about school you’d like to write.
- If I had a pet unicorn… or a pet dragon… or…
- The worst thing about starting a new school is…
- Write about you most favorite childhood memory.
- Who is your favorite superhero and why?
- Write a short essay on your school implementing a dress code.
For even more inspiration, check out these excellent back to school journaling prompts for students.
BONUS: 19 Back to School Journal Prompts for Students
- This year, I want to learn…
- How can I help out younger students?
- What is your favorite thing about going back to school?
- What does it feel like to be in the __________ grade?
- Write about three places that you’d like to visit on a field trip.
- Do you prefer cafeteria food or homemade lunches?
- What school subjects can you help others to understand?
- Write a story about some kids who get locked in school overnight.
- I’m most looking forward to __________ this year because…
- What is your favorite extracurricular activity at school?
- I want to get __________ grades this year. I will do this by…
- What are five important things you learned last year?
- What was the best day you ever had at school?
- What are your favorite traits about yourself?
- Write a poem about our school.
- Last year, I felt successful when…
- I admire the __________ class because…
- How can I make this the best year ever?
- What do you think is the hardest subject in school?
Now see these…
School Related Writing Prompts and Resources
For even more writing ideas and inspiration for students, check out these ideas.
- Here’s the link to the page where you can see the full listing of 53 Back to School Journal Prompts for Kids.
- 57 Journal Prompts for Kids — Back to School
- 33 Prompts to Help Boost Your Creative Writing Skills
- Personal Narrative Writing Prompts by Grade (K-12)
- See our extensive collection of —> Creative Writing Prompts and Story Starters
- 20 of the Best Math Writing Prompts
- Free printable class schedule template
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Writing Prompts about School,
please share them on social media via Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest., TikTok or elsewhere.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator