Journal Prompts for A New School Year— It’s that time of the year again when summer ends and a new school year begins. Beginnings are always exciting.
Everyone has something worthwhile to say and with these suggestions, kids will surely have a lot to write about as they kick off a new school year.
Journal prompts help to stir the imaginations of children of all ages and motivate them to write. Be sure to encourage your students to always keep that journal handy this school year.
For many students, journal prompts make it easier for them to put their thoughts on paper. The following list of back to school writing ideas for kids provides some guidance as to what to write about as they embark on a new school year.
30 Back to School Writing Ideas
- Describe the dominant styles and colors of the clothes you see on the first day of school.
- Who is the first old friend you meet at school? Describe the changes you noticed in him/her from the previous year.
- Who is your first new teacher at school? Describe him/her.
- What is your first class? What were your impressions of it?
- What was the first story you shared with your buddies after seeing them again after summer?
- How did you prepare yourself for the first day of school?
- If you could become a character in any of the books you’ve been asked to read, who would you be and why?
- Describe your dream car if you could ride one going to school. You may imagine it to contain technology not yet available today.
- Describe your ideal day at school.
- Write a ‘restaurant review’ of your school’s cafeteria.
- Tell the story of how you met your newest friend at school.
- Pretend you are running for the presidency. Write a campaign speech that addresses issues for kids.
- Describe how you look on a particular day at school. Put a unique twist on it and write from the point of view of an ant!
- Write about the changes you noticed in your school compared to the previous year.
- Remember some music you may have heard played as you were passing by a room. What images or ideas did it give you?
- Describe your favorite room in school.
- Describe your least favorite room in school and why is that so?
- Write a ‘Thank You’ Letter to your favorite teacher.
- If you see trash lying around, make up a story about it. Where it may have come from and how it got there etc.
- Do you have any particular ritual before going to school? Describe it in detail.
- If you were allowed to decorate a room at school, how would you go about doing it?
- Write a poem about a painting or other piece of art you saw at school.
- If you were required (or are required) to wear uniforms to school, how would you design it?
- What if no one was allowed to use a pen at school for a day, how would the day be different?
- Write a short story about the oddest thing that happened to you on the first day of school.
- Recall your first day at school last year. Compare it to this year. Are there any striking similarities or differences?
- Share three things that motivate you about going back to school.
- Describe how you organize your desk. Do you keep some stuff in certain places?
- I wish I could spend more time studying ___.
- How do you inspire yourself to study before a test?
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Back to School Writing Ideas,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator