Exciting Writing Prompts for 9, 10, 11, and 12 Year Olds— Are you looking for kids writing prompts that your children can use to write about in a journal or elsewhere? If so, then congratulations because you have just discovered a fabulous writing resource!
Whether your kids have written one journal entry or 100 journal entries, the practice of daily writing can have a positive impact on their lives.
Journaling helps students to improve their writing skills and critical thinking, as they take a topic and explore it from multiple angles. And, journal keeping can be assigned to any age child. Indeed, the sooner a kid starts to journal the better if you ask me! 🙂
After you finish exploring the fabulous kids writing prompts on this page, stick around and peruse our other amazing kids writing resources. We have thousands of free writing ideas and writing prompts for you to check out. I just know you’ll love what we have to offer you!
13 Exciting Writing Prompts for 9, 10, 11 & 12 Year Olds
+ 9 Bonus Creative Journaling Ideas
It is my sincere hope that you savor and enjoy the creative kids writing starters and journal prompts listed below.
- Imagine that you can become invisible whenever you wanted to? What are some of the things you would do?
- What would you do if you were in the middle of the lake and your boat springs a leak?
- What would you do if you were the last person on earth?
- What would you do if you could fly?
- What if you were a snowflake… what would your day be like?
- What would you do if you suddenly woke up in another country and no one could understand a word you said!
- Write a poem about your favorite person, animal, or place.
- What is your dream vacation? Why?
- Write a story from the perspective of a rabbit going down a hole. What does the rabbit experience, see and feel?
- What would you eat if you were on a deserted island? How would you catch your food?
- How does it feel to be the floor in your house?
- Imagine you are a mountain and you are sitting and watching the world. What do you see?
- What dangers would you face if you were a chipmunk? How would you overcome them?
9 More Exciting & Creative Journaling Ideas
BONUS. Add some flair to your journals! Try these innovative creative writing and journaling techniques.
- Summarize your day in 20 words or less.
- Write one word across the journal page that best describes your day.
- Write out the lyrics to your favorite song or print them out and paste them into your journal.
- Draw a picture.
- Write a poem.
- Print out a copy of an Instant Message chat that you had with your friend or your parent, and paste it into your journal.
- Compose a song.
- Write in your journal using colorful markers, colored pencils or even crayons!
- Cut and paste your favorite pictures from magazines into your journal.
I hope that you are as excited about these creative writing prompts for kids and about these innovative kids journaling ideas as I am. Publishing writing ideas, innovative writing prompts, and helpful creative writing resources on my blog is a passion of mine. It is truly my joy to share this passion with you.
Links & Resources
- 20 Interesting Prompts for Students
- Fun, Fabulous Journaling Ideas post round up
- How to Write a Journal Entry Lesson Plan
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Exciting Writing Prompts,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator