Exciting Writing Prompts for 9, 10, 11, and 12 Year Olds— If you’re seeking out engaging writing prompts for your kids to explore in journals or other creative outlets, you’re in luck. That’s because you have just discovered a fabulous and free writing resource to inspire your young scribes. You see…
The free writing ideas below are brimming with innovation, fun, and more. Yes!
These prompts will unleash your children’s imaginations and encourage them to express themselves through the power of words.
Journaling helps students to improve their writing skills and critical thinking, as they take a topic and explore it from multiple angles.
Journal keeping can be assigned to any age child. Indeed, the sooner the child starts to journal the better if you ask me. 🙂
After you finish exploring the fabulous writing prompt lists for kids on this page, stick around and peruse our other amazing kids’ writing resources. We have thousands of free writing ideas and writing prompts to inspire you and your writers.
Without further ado, here are those…
13 Exciting Writing Prompts for 9, 10, 11 & 12 Year Olds
It is my sincere hope that you savor and enjoy the creative kids writing starters and journal prompts listed below
- Imagine that you can become invisible whenever you wanted to? What are some of the things you would do?
- What would you do if you were in the middle of the lake and your boat springs a leak?
- What would you do if you were the last person on earth?
- What would you do if you could fly?
- What if you were a snowflake… what would your day be like?
- What would you do if you suddenly woke up in another country and no one could understand a word you said!
- Write a poem about your favorite person, animal, or place.
- What is your dream vacation? Why?
- Write a story from the perspective of a rabbit going down a hole. What does the rabbit experience, see and feel?
- What would you eat if you were on a deserted island? How would you catch your food?
- How does it feel to be the floor in your house?
- Imagine you are a mountain and you are sitting and watching the world. What do you see?
- What dangers would you face if you were a chipmunk? How would you overcome them?
Now check out these…
9 Bonus Creative Journaling Ideas for Kids
BONUS! Add some flair to your journals! Try these innovative creative writing and journaling techniques.
- Summarize your day in 20 words or less.
- Write one word across the journal page that best describes your day.
- Write out the lyrics to your favorite song or print them out and paste them into your journal.
- Draw a picture.
- Write a poem.
- Print out a copy of an Instant Message chat that you had with your friend or your parent, and paste it into your journal.
- Compose a song.
- Write in your journal using colorful markers, colored pencils or even crayons!
- Cut and paste your favorite pictures from magazines into your journal.
I hope you enjoyed these writing prompts for 9 10, 11, and 12 year olds.
Ok, if you need even more inspiration then check out…
The Favorites List of Easy Journaling Ideas
In addition to the list of writing prompts above, check out this excellent and simple list of journal ideas for you to use in your lesson plans and classroom instruction.
For those reluctant writers or non-writers, we suggest you use the time-tested favorite writing prompts. They are simple ideas that nearly every writer can answer without much effort. Plus, they are an excellent way to get those creative writing juices flowing for writers of all skill levels.
- Favorite game
- Favorite sport
- Favorite foods
- Favorite place
- Favorite book
- Favorite toy
- Favorite season
- Favorite movie
- Favorite animal
- Favorite pet
- Favorite food
- Favorite color
- Favorite fairy tale
- Video game
- Sibling (or other relative)
- School subject
- Time of day
- Place to visit
- Past time
- Favorite thing to think about
- Thing to remember
- Silly thing to do
- Favorite/best gift
The favorites prompts are excellent for writers of all ages, from those in elementary school to middle school (and even for older kids in high school).
11 Creative Story Starters & Writing Ideas for 9 – 12 Year Olds
In case you or your writers need even more inspiration, check out these creative writing prompts.
- Amidst your summer vacation with your best friend, you’re having a blast exploring your surroundings. Suddenly, you become lost in the jungle. Can you find your way back home?
- Your mission is to save your mom, but the clock is ticking. You have to race against time to find her before it’s too late. Will you succeed?
- Your best friend, a seasoned detective, is investigating a mystery surrounding a well-known figure. Determined to help solve the case, you join forces with them. However, as you unravel the truth, unexpected challenges arise…
- Struggling in school, your best friend turns to you for help with their homework. Together, you devise an innovative and enjoyable approach to learning. Will your best friend see a noticeable improvement in their grades?
- Your best friend, a talented cook, enters a prestigious cooking competition. With your assistance, they create a flavorful and inventive vegetable dish. Will their dish be enough to secure victory?
- With just one day to decide your future, you’re faced with a monumental decision. What path will you choose and why?
- Finally, after all these years, your dreams are coming true. Tomorrow marks the beginning of your journey towards fulfillment, but what does the future hold for you?
- As you stroll through the park you spot your cherished ________ (pet, friend, or parent) walking toward you. Just like that, your emotions get the best of you because…
- As the spacecraft touched down on the unfamiliar terrain, the crew eagerly emerged, ready to embark on their new adventure. However, something felt amiss. The planet appeared completely abandoned and cryptic symbols were etched into the ground. What could have transpired here?
- Trapped in outer space with only your ingenuity and camaraderie to guide you, can you find a means to survive until help arrives? With each passing moment, the clock ticks down in your race against time to rescue your mother. Will you be able to accomplish your mission before it’s too late?
- Despite the dangers, you’ve always yearned to explore the new planet. Yet, knowing the risks, you decide to bring your friends along by constructing a spacecraft. What mysterious escapades await you in this uncharted realm?
I hope these story starters amp up your writer’s creativity and inspire kids to write some exciting, new creative stories!
More Writing Prompts & Resources
- 20 Interesting Prompts for Students
- Fun, Fabulous Journaling Ideas post round-up
- How to Write a Journal Entry Lesson Plan
I hope you are as excited about these creative writing ideas and fun writing prompts for kids and about these innovative kids’ journaling ideas as I am.
Publishing writing ideas, innovative writing prompts, and helpful creative writing resources on my blog is a passion of mine. It is truly my joy to share this passion with you.
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Exciting Journal Writing Prompt Ideas for kids ages 9 – 12, please share them on social media via Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, X, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator
See this resource –> 6 Writing Strategies for Students