Exciting Writing Prompts for 9, 10, 11, and 12 Year Olds— Are you looking for kids writing prompts that your children can use to write about in a journal or elsewhere? If so, then congratulations because you have just discovered a fabulous writing resource!
Whether your kids have written one journal entry or 100 journal entries, the practice of daily writing can have a positive impact on their lives.
Journaling helps students to improve their writing skills and their critical thinking, as they take a topic and explore it from multiple angles. And, journal keeping can be assigned to any age child. Indeed, the sooner a kid starts to journal the better if you ask me! 🙂
After you finish exploring the fabulous kids writing prompts on this page, stick around and peruse our other amazing kids writing resources. We have 12,000+ kids writing ideas and writing prompts for you to check out. I just know you’ll love what we have to offer you!
13 Exciting Writing Prompts for 10, 11 & 12 Year Olds
+ 9 Bonus Creative Journaling Ideas
It is my sincere hope that you savor and enjoy the creative kids writing starters and journal prompts listed below.
- Imagine that you can become invisible whenever you wanted to? What are some of the things you would do?
- What would you do if you were in the middle of the lake and your boat springs a leak?
- What would you do if you were the last person on earth?
- What would you do if you could fly?
- What if you were a snowflake… what would your day be like?
- What would you do if you suddenly woke up in another country and no one could understand a word you said!
- Write a poem about your favorite person, animal, or place.
- What is your dream vacation? Why?
- Write a story from the perspective of a rabbit going down a hole. What does the rabbit experience, see and feel?
- What would you eat if you were on a deserted island? How would you catch your food?
- How does it feel to be the floor in your house?
- Imagine you are a mountain and you are sitting and watching the world. What do you see?
- What dangers would you face if you were a chipmunk? How would you overcome them?
9 More Exciting & Creative Journaling Ideas
BONUS. Add some flair to your journals! Try these innovative creative writing and journaling techniques.
- Summarize your day in 20 words or less.
- Write one word across the journal page that best describes your day.
- Write out the lyrics to your favorite song or print them out and paste them into your journal.
- Draw a picture.
- Write a poem.
- Print out a copy of an Instant Message chat that you had with your friend or your parent, and paste it into your journal.
- Compose a song.
- Write in your journal using colorful markers, colored pencils or even crayons!
- Cut and paste your favorite pictures from magazines into your journal.
I hope that you are as excited about these creative writing prompts for kids and about these innovative kids journaling ideas as I am. Publishing writing ideas, innovative writing prompts, and helpful creative writing resources on my blog is a passion of mine. It is truly my joy to share this passion with you.
Links & Resources
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Exciting Writing Prompts,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator