Exciting Writing Prompts for 9, 10, 11, and 12 Year Olds— Are you looking for kids writing prompts that your children can use to write about in a journal or elsewhere? If so, then congratulations because you have just discovered a fabulous writing resource!
Whether your kids have written one journal entry or 100 journal entries, the practice of daily writing can have a positive impact on their lives.
Journaling helps students to improve their writing skills and critical thinking, as they take a topic and explore it from multiple angles. And, journal keeping can be assigned to any age child. Indeed, the sooner a kid starts to journal the better if you ask me! 🙂
After you finish exploring the fabulous kids writing prompts on this page, stick around and peruse our other amazing kids writing resources. We have thousands of free writing ideas and writing prompts for you to check out. I just know you’ll love what we have to offer you!
13 Exciting Writing Prompts for 9, 10, 11 & 12 Year Olds
+ 9 Bonus Creative Journaling Ideas
It is my sincere hope that you savor and enjoy the creative kids writing starters and journal prompts listed below.
- Imagine that you can become invisible whenever you wanted to? What are some of the things you would do?
- What would you do if you were in the middle of the lake and your boat springs a leak?
- What would you do if you were the last person on earth?
- What would you do if you could fly?
- What if you were a snowflake… what would your day be like?
- What would you do if you suddenly woke up in another country and no one could understand a word you said!
- Write a poem about your favorite person, animal, or place.
- What is your dream vacation? Why?
- Write a story from the perspective of a rabbit going down a hole. What does the rabbit experience, see and feel?
- What would you eat if you were on a deserted island? How would you catch your food?
- How does it feel to be the floor in your house?
- Imagine you are a mountain and you are sitting and watching the world. What do you see?
- What dangers would you face if you were a chipmunk? How would you overcome them?
9 More Exciting & Creative Journaling Ideas
BONUS. Add some flair to your journals! Try these innovative creative writing and journaling techniques.
- Summarize your day in 20 words or less.
- Write one word across the journal page that best describes your day.
- Write out the lyrics to your favorite song or print them out and paste them into your journal.
- Draw a picture.
- Write a poem.
- Print out a copy of an Instant Message chat that you had with your friend or your parent, and paste it into your journal.
- Compose a song.
- Write in your journal using colorful markers, colored pencils or even crayons!
- Cut and paste your favorite pictures from magazines into your journal.
I hope that you are as excited about these creative writing prompts for kids and about these innovative kids journaling ideas as I am. Publishing writing ideas, innovative writing prompts, and helpful creative writing resources on my blog is a passion of mine. It is truly my joy to share this passion with you.
Links & Resources
- 20 Interesting Prompts for Students
- Fun, Fabulous Journaling Ideas post round up
- How to Write a Journal Entry Lesson Plan
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Exciting Writing Prompts,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator
26 thoughts on “Exciting Writing Prompts (Age 9-12)”
Thank you!!!! I am a Youth Minister and we are doing our first writing group today. I appreciate this help….
Hello Rebekah, You are so very welcome. Happy writing to your entire group especially from me! 😀
Sincerely, Jill Schoenberg
author and creator of the Journal Buddies book series
These writing prompts are very creative and wonderful; however, they are not grammatically correct. Many of them switch tenses (past, present, future).
Please feel free to use and/or rewrite the journaling prompts to suit your needs and tastes. 😀
Of course! 🙂
Hey I’m a fifth grade student and I find this site very entertaining and full of cool things to write about!
Hi Michelle, I am sooooooooooooooo glad that you enjoy my site. Stop often and drop me a note any time! 😀
Journal Buddies Author and Creator
These are soooooo cool michelle!!!! i love ur website. I am from south lyon and i am going through some tough times
hey, sklar is my twin but i looooovvvve ur website. I dont know you but if i did i probably would love u… this is sooooo cool writing comments!!!
Hi Skylar, Journaling is a great tool to help get you through tough times (and good times too). I hope you use it and I hope that your tough times pass quickly.
Until next time, journal on! 😀
Journal Buddies Author
Thank you for your kind words about JournalBuddies.com. You’ve put a big smile on my face, and I thank you for that!
Journal Buddies Creator and Author
Three stories already!! That is fabulous. Write on Pranav!!! 😀
I was walking throw the woods one day and I saw a wolf. It was big and it was red. I was really scared so I ran away from it .It was chasing me. I was running out of the woods.when I got home food was ready. The end
I LOVE your story, Emily!!! Thank you for sharing with us. 😀
this website is really helping me for the njask which I have been stressing for a long time
I’m so glad that you find my site helpful! All the best to you, Kishi. 🙂
I am an Elementary teacher and enjoy teaching creative writing to my 6 year olds, I found your prompts very interesting and I am excited to use it with my kids in class.
I am glad you enjoyed the writing prompts. There are many more on my site and even more to yet to be published, so check back often.
Wishing you and your students all the very best today and always!
Journal Buddies Author
Hi jill, your prompts r really very interesting .it’s a great help dear .Thanks nd God bless u! Sera
Your site is simply wonderful. God bless you and give you more wisdom fo sharing your knowledge with the world.
It’s really helpful.
Awhhh… thank you for your kind words, and may God bless you, too! 🙂
This is really helpful! I am a big sister tutoring my younger sister. I know what she needs more than her teachers, and have been helping her with school subjects. One thing she really needs help with is journal writing. She does it every once in a while when she feels like it. I do that too, but I know journal writing is important, so I am trying to get her to write more often.
I am so glad that you found this article helpful. Knowing that just warms my heart, as does the fact that you are a big sister. Yay for you!!!!
Happy journaling to you and to your little sister.
Author of ‘Journal Buddies’
it’s good 🙂
Hi Jill , Thank you dear for helping me with these prompts. My students enjoyed writing “What would you do if you suddenly woke up in another country and no one could understand a word you said!”.For instance one wrote that he’ll go to sleep again so can come back to HIS SENSES again. They want me to give them some more of these.
LOL… I love that response your student came up with to go back to sleep. How innovative!! There are so many prompts on this site, and I hope you continue to visit often and use them with your students!
Happy writing to all.
Ever so kindly,
Author and Creator of Journal Buddies
Comments are closed.