Ask a Stupid Question Day Writing Prompts + a brand new list of nonsense questions, too. Now, there’s no such thing as a stupid question, but that doesn’t mean that sometimes we don’t worry we’ll look stupid for asking a question!
Writing is a fundamental part of any classroom environment — and giving students opportunities to hone their writing skills and develop their own personal style is a critical part of learning.
That doesn’t mean that writing has to be serious business. You see…
These stupid questions and now new BONUS list of nonsense questions below may seem silly on the surface, but they can actually spur insightful ideas and encourage each student to expand their imagination.
Kids will have fun coming up with their own creative answers to these silly stupid questions—and they’ll learn that it’s okay to not always know all the answers, too!
Get to it and use these nonsense questions to give your students a chance to have some fun while practicing their writing skills!
Why We Wrote Blog Post about Stupid and Nonsense Questions
You see, back in the 1980’s…
“Ask a Stupid Question Day” was created by a group of teachers who wanted to make sure their students never felt this way.
When they noticed students avoiding questions because they feared they would look dumb, the teachers designated “Ask a Stupid Question Day” to serve as a safe space for any and all questions to be asked and is celebrated on the last school day of September.
In that spirit, these “Ask a Stupid Question Day” journal prompts are designed to help students become more confident in their questions and learn a little about thinking outside the box.
With the prompts below…
Students will first reflect on topics like whether or not stupid questions exist and whether or not people should be embarrassed to ask them.
Then, they’ll try to answer questions that may seem “stupid” at first glance, but that actually call for some creative thought—such as “Why does wool shrink in the laundry, but sheep don’t shrink in the rain?”
This list of stupid questions is going to be a lot of fun. I promise you that. Now, take a look and, above all, have fun with these stupid questions!
30 Ask a Stupid Question Day Writing Prompts for Elementary School Students
- Is there such a thing as a stupid question? Why or why not?
- Have you ever been too embarrassed to ask a question? Why or why not?
- Write about a time when someone asked you a stupid question. How did you respond?
- Think of a stupid question and then attempt to answer it yourself.
- Think of a stupid question and ask someone else. How did you feel asking the question? How did the other person respond?
- Think of a stupid question. Then, trade with a friend and try to answer one another’s questions.
- Think of a stupid question about how something works and make up your own creative short story to answer it.
- What was the stupidest question you ever heard? Was it actually stupid or was it just something that the person had never had the chance to learn?
- Why shouldn’t people be embarrassed to ask supposedly stupid questions?
- Make a list of all the stupid questions you’ve ever wanted to ask—then try to find answers for as many of them as you can.
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: Do the fortunes in fortune cookies have an expiration date?
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: Do animals have different accents in different parts of the world?
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: Why do we have 24 hours in a day?
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: Technology has developed exponentially in the last 50 years. What was everyone wasting their time on for all of the centuries that came before?
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: Why don’t our toes have names like our fingers do?
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: Wool shrinks in the laundry—but sheep don’t shrink in the rain. Why?
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: People say “cheese” when you take their picture. What does cheese say when someone takes a picture of it?
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: Can you tell if it is AM or PM when you look at an analog clock? Why or why not?
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: Coconut oil is made from coconuts and vegetable oil is made from vegetables. What is baby oil made from?
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: What rhymes with “orange”?
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: Why does it take more than a minute to cook minute rice?
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: Why do kids have to learn math, but adults mostly use calculators?
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: Why do some animal cartoon characters wear pajamas at night or coats in the winter when they normally don’t wear any clothes?
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: Why don’t you laugh when you hurt your funny bone?
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: What would happen if there was a typo in the dictionary?
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: Why aren’t softballs soft?
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: Pizzas are round, but they come in square boxes. Why?
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: Why is it called a pair of pants when it is only one piece of clothing?
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: Why can’t you walk through a drive-thru?
- Try to answer this “stupid” question: Why do people say “like taking candy from a baby” to mean something is easy, when most babies would cry and kick and scream if you took their candy?
Ok, I hope you enjoyed this list of stupid questions.
Let’s explore some nonsense questions.
39 Nonsense Questions for Kids to Ask
- Why did the unidentified flying object land in the playground and take the most boring piece of equipment out there?
- What happened to incite the zombie apocalypse in your hometown?
- Who put the bananas all over the roadway, as if they were playing a real-life game of Mario Kart?
- What words do you think are missing from the dictionaries of today? Write your own definitions of these words.
- How would you begin a conversation with a smurf? Which question would you ask first?
- Do you think it would be better for an alarm clock to sound when it was time to go to bed, rather than when it was time to wake up?
- Would pizza topped with chocolate sauce make you lose your appetite? Or would it make you want a second slice?
- How do you think it would feel to have a fear of long words? What would you do to overcome your fear?
- What type of cookies would be best to dip in lemonade?
- If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, which song would it be? Do you think you would get sick of it?
- Imagine what dessert would taste like if it was accidentally made with salt instead of sugar. What would you do if you bit into a salty cake?
- How do you think mermaids breathe underwater?
- What would a monkey say if they wrote their own self help book?
- What would you do if you won an award for achieving first place in the silly dance contest?
- If you could paint a bathroom any color, which color would you choose? Why?
- If a wise man told you to sleep outside in the rain, would you do it?
- You hear a sudden whack sound, and you can feel your head throbbing. When you wake up, you are in a completely different place and time. Where are you, and what do you do next?
- Do you think that scattering marbles is a good way to stop a criminal from committing a crime?
- How would it feel if you could change your mood by wearing sunglasses?
- What three different things would make your classroom a more interesting place to be?
- Do you think that you and your classmates could dig a hole on the playground that reached the center of the earth?
- If you could ask any question on Stupid Question Day, what would it be?
- What gifts do you think aliens give one another?
- Why do you think there are so many unsolved mysteries?
- What would you do if you transformed into an animal at the very moment that you went to sleep?
- If violets had a secret superpower when you smelled them, what do you think it would be?
- What does the weight of the world actually feel like?
- How do you think dogs and cats could form a friendship?
- Do you think that you could live a normal life if you were a celebrity?
- Should people be allowed to wear white pants in September?
- Where would you go if you could float in a balloon to any destination?
- If you were given a piece of land to call your own, would it be a kingdom or a country?
- Why don’t animals need socks when people do?
- Do you think hummingbirds would make good pets?
- What would you do if you called an ambulance because you were having a heart attack and a clown was driving it?
- Would you ever want to be the first person to walk on Mars? Why or why not?
- If you were given an option to take a pill that would change your hair color, would you? What color would you want it to be?
- They recently announced on the news that Donkey Kong would be living in the human world instead of the video game dimension. Would you welcome Donkey Kong into your home?
- What do you think would happen if peanut butter and jelly sandwiches started causing extreme drowsiness in the students at your school?
Well that was a fun list of nonsense questions.
And, in case you need even more writing inspirations, check out this list of….
116 More Fun Writing Prompts for You
- 53 Power of a Smile Writing Ideas
- 31 Questions to Get to Know Someone
- 32 Fun, Fabulous Journaling Ideas post round up
Alrighty, that’s all for today.
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Stupid Questions,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator
PS – Check out this funny resource – 125 of the Most Confusing Trick Questions!