Second Grade Journal Writing Prompts—
Recently, a lovely reader named Trina left a comment on our post about Elementary Writing 49 Ideas and Story Starters for Kids. She contributed 46 fabulous journal prompt and writing ideas, and I had to share them with you.
As an added bonus, here’s a listing of resources to other writing prompt articles organized by grade:
Okay… without further ado, below is Trina’s fabulous listing of 2nd-grade writing prompts!
Journal Prompts and Writing Ideas
- What’s the most important thing you would like to do this summer?
- Go for a walk. Write a sentence about the walk you went on.
- Write about a trick you would like to play on your mom.
- What is your favorite thing to do when you play outside?
- What is your favorite thing to do when you play inside?
- Tell about what you will be when you grow up.
- Write about what you would like to do for your next birthday.
- If you could go on a vacation anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- Make a list of groceries that you think mom or dad should buy for you from the store.
- Tell about an animal you would like to have for a pet.
- What would you do if there was a dragon stuck under your bed?
- What is the funniest thing that you have ever seen?
- What did you do today?
- What is something you would like to learn more about?
- What kind of pet do you think a teacher should get for their classroom?
- What is the best movie you have ever seen?
- Tell about your most favorite book.
- Tell about your favorite holiday. Tell why it is your favorite.
- Tell about your favorite restaurant. Tell why it is your favorite.
- Write a poem about what you think first grade will be like.
- Do you think you will get married?? Write about what you think it will be like.
- What is something you love about yourself?
- If you could change anything about yourself, what would it be?
- Make a list of the things you are most thankful for in your life.
- Which season do you like the most?? Why??
- Which season do you like the least, why????
- You just won $1,000,000. What are you going to do first?
- Tell about a time when you were kind to someone.
- Tell about your favorite song.
- Write a story about the mysterious zizzybaloobuh that you just found in your bathtub.
- What is something that makes you ANGRY!!!!!
- Tell about your favorite sport.
- Tell about the last time you cried.
- What are you scared of?
- You found a magic wand! What would you do with it?
- Tell about your favorite food and why it is so good.
- Have a family member write something about you today.
- What would happen to you if you never went to school?
- In first grade, I want to learn about…
- My favorite animal is a….
- This is a list of things I like to do when I can’t watch television or play video games.
- What would you like to say to President Obama?
- What is something you are really good at doing or creating?
- What should you do if there is a bully on your bus?
- When I’m 100 years old…
- If a cat could talk, what would they say?
Until next time, journal on!